|Revelation 21:8 |
8 But the cowards, the unbelieving and faithless, the abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, magic art practitioners, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone; which is the second death.2"
2 But the cowards, the unbelieving and faithless, the abominable, murderers, sexually immoral, magic art practitioners, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake that burns with fire and brimstone; which is the second death.
The cowards, (the timid, the fearful),*
the faithless, (faith without obedience and works of love is only lip service),
the abominable, (shameful, detestable, disgusting),
the murderers, (including those who hate anyone, or are given to anger and rage),
the sexually immoral, (including those who imagine their sexual immorality),
magic art practitioners, (including the priests of Christendom practicing witchcraft with superstitious rituals and ceremonies),
idolaters, (including people who make themselves God by walking after the imagination of their own hearts, and those who are covetous — who value anything equal to or more than God),
and all liars, (including lies of commission, lies by omission of details, and white lies).
*The meaning of coward or timid in this verse means:
- if you are too timid or afraid to place yourself under the scrutiny of God, or
- if you are so afraid of being deceived by a false voice that you refuse to wait on Him and listen, or
- if you are afraid of criticism from the world regarding your withdrawal from its customs and traditions, or
- if you are ashamed to speak the words that the Lord commands you to speak, or
- if you are ashamed to admit to all the world that you are a devoted follower of Jesus.
(all of which is being afraid of the cross), then you are an unworthy coward.
These shall have their part in the lake of fire, but a part is not eternal.
But those who do not lie, Isaiah describes: For he said, "Surely they are my people, children who will not lie." So he was their Savior.